Following commonly held student beliefs about the nature of mathematics do NOT hold in the context of creative math problem solving.
- There is only one approach to solve any problem
-- often one that teacher has recently taught.
- Ordinary students cannot expect to understand mathematics; they
expect simply to memorize it, and apply what they have learned
mechanically and without understanding.
- Mathematics problems are always solved individuals by themselves and not by a team.
- Students who are good at mathematics are able to solve any problem in less than five minutes.
- The mathematics taught in school is not relevant to the real world.